LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's a London hospital on Thursday for a planned operation on his abdomen, said, in the latest round of medical treatmentfor 's 91-year-old husband.was taken to
The British monarch's consort of more than 65 years, who turns 92 on Monday, is expected to spend two weeks at the London Clinicafter undergoing "an exploratory operation following abdominal investigations", the palace said in a statement.
A palace spokesman said the prince's admission had been planned and was not an emergency. He was driven to hospital in his own car and walked into the building.
Earlier in the day, the prince, who also has the title of the Duke of Edinburgh, attended a garden party at Buckingham Palace with his 87-year-old wife. Television footage showed him in a grey top hat and tails, smiling as he chatted to guests.
Royal aides said there would be regular updates on his condition but asked media to refrain from speculating about the operation and the length of stay in hospital.
Philip has neededfour times since Christmas 2011, including for a bladder infection during the queen's Diamond Jubilee a year ago, which took some of the gloss off nationwide celebrations for the generally popular monarch.
He spent Christmas 2011 in hospital where he underwent an operation to clear a blocked heart artery after suffering chest pains.