Pages

Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas 2010!

To Our Dear Friends, Family and Readers,

As we gather our thoughts and think of the year that's about to pass we have much to be thankful for.

This family began the year with three people...we are ending it with 4 and a half as I like to say!

In March we became involved with a courageous teenager from Georgia who was thrown out of his parents' home for asking his high school for permission to bring his boyfriend to Prom. Derrick's request was eventually granted by school authorities, only to face his parents' ire and expulsion from the bosom of his family. Derrick is an only child and the loss of his parents was a devastating blow to him.

Dave and I offered our help and guidance, our mentoring, our love and support...and he welcomed it. Derrick spent the summer with us and returned to home as soon as his first semester at college ended a few weeks ago. He now rests peacefully in his bedroom, which we encouraged Derrick to decorate to his own taste..."this...is my new home, the only one I have now and I'm so happy with you guys, you're amazing, what else can I say...I'm so lucky and I am where I need to be," he told me just a few days ago. It brought tears to my eyes...

We never intended to gain Derrick as a sort of "foster son" – but we did and we are delighted with how things have turned out for us four!

In August we welcomed Jan, a German teenager who signed up for a foreign exchange program. We thought having Jan in the house for six months would allow Zac an opportunity to learn how to negotiate living under our roof without being the only child. So far so good...Jan and Zac are great friends and they get along swimmingly!

Zac is now 14 1/2 years old and in the Eighth Grade...we have started looking for private high schools for him to apply to!

We lost Stuart, our Scottie, but luckily Lucas and Sammy remain spirited and energetic!

This year we lived through my bout with cancer and a serious medical emergency while I was visiting Paris...but as we approach the end of 2010 I look back at the gifts it leaves us with...and although at one point I called it my "annus horribilis", it has actually brought us much joy!

Blessings to all!

Arturo

No comments:

Post a Comment