Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

A Reporter's Memoirs of the Queen Mother's Death

From the Daily Mail:


How BBC bosses ordered me to downplay the Queen Mother's death

By Peter Sissons
Peter Sissons was one of the BBC's most distinguished figures, anchoring news programmes for more than 20 years. Now, in his memoirs, he looks back on his long career, from growing up in Liverpool to coping with the Corporation's deep-rooted political bias...
 
When I joined the BBC, I had to take part in an odd ritual. I was told to report to a rather formidable woman, whose precise job title was never relayed to me. I was shown into her presence, to find she was with a gentleman carrying a tape-measure. He was a tailor from Savile Row.

The formidable woman explained that every presenter had to have a specially made sombre suit in which to announce the death of a senior member of the Royal Family, should that need arise.


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1349871/Peter-Sissons-BBC-bosses-ordered-downplay-Queen-Mothers-death.html 



No comments:

Post a Comment